Don’t Panic if Your Kids Cannot Read Yet!
Just keep reading to them.
- Grab an exciting book and suddenly have to “Stop Reading” at an extremely exciting part.
- Leave them hanging in stories.
- Talk to them about the books you are reading.
- Give them access to books, lots and lots of book.
- Gather books that are below their reading level and have them “hanging around”.
- You, mom, pick up children’s literature and read silently to yourself. Let your kids see that there are no age appropriate kid’s books. Help them see that a good book is simply that, a good book.
I have had 5 reluctant readers myself. I chose not to panic about it, but to follow my own advice. Our youngest was the most reluctant yet. He is almost ten and had never really picked up a book on his own… until recently.
Last week I couldn’t find him. I was walking all over our new home looking for him.
I was shocked to stumble over him reading quietly in a corner while snuggling with the dog.
I was shocked.
I knew it would eventually happen, but I was still shocked when it did.
He fell in love with the Magic Tree House Series. As a matter of fact he has read a whole book every day since the day I took this picture. Amazing!
Do you have a reluctant reader?
Keep reading to them.
Supply them with lots of books.
Visit the library. Often.
Leave ’em hanging in a story.
Just never give up. They will read.
Never make it a negative, reading is fun.
The only thing that matters is THAT they learn to read.