You son is blessed to have you. You are hand picked by the Creator of the universe to guide and direct this future man of God. Ask the Lord for wisdom, because I can assure you that the Lord’s plans for your emotional son Is the same as yours.
What works for my five boys when they hit emotional spurts (and they all do):
- Don’t coddle through the over emotion. Hug and love lots, but not through anything that resembles a meltdown.
- I turn off the TV and electronics. I continue to be amazed at how quickly technology sucks the boys of their ability to cope, be kind, or simple listen. Yes, they watch and play but it is limited and is the first thing to go when they are a teary mess.
- I get them around their daddy. Quickly. (Or another godly man). Strong men like my hubby simply do not put up with whiners. I have found that I can raise boys, but my husband mentors men.
- Put them to work. “Many hands make light work”. Boys need to work hard and feel needed. They also can tell when they really contribute to the group or are being pacified. We have given our boys chores from the time they could dump a bun of toys! (If you can dump it, you can be coached how to put it back:)
- Pray. This is so key. We are not men. We are emotional beings and love to dig in to the why behind emotional outbursts because that is what God wired us to do. The Lord has always spoken clarity to what each son has needed during his emotional state.
**identify the heart issue.
So far, my older boys have hit their biggest emotional state at around 12. Lord help me, I have another son almost 12.
Confusion has been the catalyst for almost all emotional outbursts with my oldest three.
They get confused about something, that pricks their pride because they should know they answer right. Then they lash out emotionally.
Teaching boys to say something like, “hm, I don’t understand… Can you explain it again, or a different way?” Has been life changing!
That’s my 2 cents.
Help us moms of boys seek You for counsel, wisdom, and direction with each and every one of our boys. They are so unique and wonderful. You know exactly what they need. May we seek wisdom from each other, but only allow what is from You to stick and stay in our minds… Amen!
You may also enjoy:
“Your 12 Year Old Son is becoming a man.
See the Captain America within him!”