My first day of homeschooling ended with me in tears and nail polish on my bathroom floor. It wasn’t pretty.
Thank goodness I asked for help!
Homeschooling: Step One
Welcome to the wonderful world of educating your children.
If you are anything like I was when I first began homeschooling my boys, you are overwhelmed and terrified of destroying your children.
I know it feels overwhelming.
Like you are up to your chin in jello with nothing but a toy lasso from your son’s Halloween costume to pull you out. But you will be ok. I am here to help you. To show you there is no Jello.
I want to encourage you to breathe.
There is nothing more important than for you to remember that “no one knows your kids better than you do.”
You are perfectly suited to teach your children because:
They are your kids.
No one knows them like you do.
You know what they love and hate.
You are vested in their success.
No one will believe in them with the same level of intensity that you will.
Before you begin, let me encourage you to focus your heart.
You can absolutely teach your kids, but you will be tempted to focus on the wrong things.
- Which Curriculum should you choose?
- Should you participate in State testing?
- Are your kids performing at “grade level”?
Those are important, but wrong.
Yes, you should consider questions like these but they have NOTHING to do with whether you will be a successful homeschooler.
I would like to encourage you to grab a cup of something wonderful: tea, coffee, cranberry juice, etc.
Before you jump in:
Grab your Homeschool Notebook (Grab your free sample here)
Download your Mindset Self-check (at the end of this email)
Take a minute and journal about your homeschooling expectations.
(Download Journal pages at the end of this article)
~What do you imagine when you close your eyes?
~How do you want your days to go?
~What are your educational goals for each of your kids?
(PS- it is perfectly ok to have no clue at this point)
~Will you have any support?
~Will your husband be doing any of the teachings?
~Do you have your house in order?
~If not, what do you feel you need before you begin?
Didn’t get your free excerpt of my Homeschool Guide? Grab your free sample here.
1. Simply click on the “Yes, I Want Help” button below. You’ll get the Starter pack for your Homeschool Notebook, Set-up Instructions plus be signed up for my weekly newsletter.
2. Print your Homeschool Guide on simple copy paper. Hole punch.
3. Put pages into a large 3-Ring Binder.
4. Make a cup of coffee or favorite drink and read at your leisure over the next few days. I’ll be sending you some more goodies for your Notebook soon.